Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"DOWN BY LAW" Oakland Wall of Fame Prequel

Krash TDK's dedication to Dream of the 23rd Yard... pressure washed to remove all the layers of paint that were peeling off.

Fab 5 Freddy- Down By Law

I'm hella excited about the 23rd Yard "Oakland Wall of Fame" being completed, I can't wait to get down there and take connector photos and video of the entire wall. The taped together 4"x6" prints alone will be at least about 20 feet long. In anticipation of full completion, check these photos and video i took of the wall the day before production began. It was an honor to see the wall stripped down to the bone revealing how much time, energy, and love went into the wall so many of us called home. For me, it literally was home, I grew up on the other side of the big shady wall at 23rd, and painted my first toy pieces on the shorty wall. I usta throw rocks at bottles in the Yard before I ever thought I would be painting alongside the masters I watched develop while taking the shortcut home so I could watch cartoons. In later days, after school I was there every day painting, meeting writers, hanging out, and watching kings paint. Chances are I seen almost every piece that makes up each layer, and that each layer I made is in my blood (literally, i don't think the toxins ever leave)... In the video below, one of my Maestros talks about the wall and what a trip it is to see all the layers down to the bricks over 20 years later. Also discusses his process for laying out pieces on the 23rd Yard Wall... take notes!

23rd Interview 2 from Willie Maze on Vimeo.


Burner by Buter TMF dedicated to King Dream TDK...

The Photo above is a rough layout of the wall plan Krash TDK made. Didn't quite work out like that but it's a cool document. This is just the Bay Area sampling of the wall. Some of the Nation's best writers from across the country came out to rock the Oakland Wall of Fame. Big up Krash for bringing it all together, this shit is a monumental task to say the least!

In the video below, another OG writer discusses his anticipation of what's to come on this wall...

23rdYard Interview 1. from Willie Maze on Vimeo.

Looking forward to showing you all that and more soon...

2 comments:

missbliss said...

WOW... DEFINATELY YOU CAN SEE ALL THOSE LAYERS, CAN AMOUNT TO HUNDREDS OF BEAUTIFUL PIECES! ALL OF THE GREATEST ARTISTS WHO ROCKED THAT WALL, AND ALL THE BLOOD AND SWEAT AND DREAMS AND STRUGGLES THAT WENT INTO THAT. I CANT EVEN IMAGINE WHAT A PROFOUND PIECE OF HISTORY THAT ONE SPOT IN OAKLAND, RIGHT IN MY HOOD, WHERE WE ALL GREW UP. CRAZY YOU KNOW, TO SEE. LIKE AN ONION IT BISECTED, YOUR ALMOST LIKE AN ARCHEOLOGIST IN THIS SHORT DOCUMENTARY. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS VALUABLE PIECE OF HISTORY WITH THE WORLD. MUCH LOVE... OAKLAND WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART, FOREVER AND ALWAYS!

WILLIE MAZE said...

Fa Sho!